Thursday, March 19, 2020

Review: The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History by John M. Barry

The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in HistoryThe Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History by John M. Barry

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



For many years, I've been interested in the influenza pandemic of 1918-19. My paternal grandmother diedo f complications from influenza in 1919. John Barry has written such a remarkable book, tracing the scientific developments in response to that virus and others, as well as the impact and suffering the pandemic caused all around the world.



Anyone who knows me knows I do not have a mind for science. But this book is so well written, even I could grasp the basics of what a virus is, and even understand, from the description of virus characteristics, what it looks like under a microscope. Another aspect of this work is John Barry's biographies of some of the scientists and researchers who pioneered viral research, both before and after the influenza pandemic of 1918-19. And then there are the military, government and community leaders who were connected in various ways with this pandemic--some worked selflessly and risked their very lives to try and stop it, and others did virtually nothing. You'll meet them in this book too.



If you have difficulty coping with graphic detail and description, this may not be the read for you. This pandemic is not a pretty picture. I highly recommend this book, especially in light of what the world is currently experiencing with the coronavirus. I'm so glad I read it, and John Barry has done us all a great service by writing it.